Thursday, August 11, 2016

Showing off the flower quilt work- so far

So I finally got my 20 flower blocks appliqued down.  These were origionally published in the Detroit Free Press in the 1930's and again in the Kansas City newspaper in 1932.

As usual I am a raw-edge applique gal.  I also like to tear my back ground fabrics and  trim to size after the flower is sewn down.  The blocks are 8 1/2 x 11 inches and traditionally set four rows across by 5 rows down.  I tend to like my tops more square so I am setting this group of blocks five across and 4 down.


 I took a quick trip to Aurora with Connie to look for sashing fabrics.  I found the perfect (for me fabric for the outer borders and the back but won't show it off now.  At first my plans were to do a 2 1/2 inch sashing with setting squares.  I sent Connie these pictures to help me choose which fabric for the strips.
 I just couldn't decided between the two.  In fact I thought I wanted the black, then changed my mind to the green.  When I started to cut into the green, I just didn't like how busy the print was when looking at 2 1/2 inches.  So next best thing, cut at 1 1/2 inches and do a strip set with 9-patches as the setting blocks.
 I am so going to love this setting  As a disclaimer-  I don't iron, the 9-patches are 3 1/2 inches and yes I do see the bottom right block is going to need attention,  I will fix it, I promise.  I don't use pins when I sew, so every now and then, my friend the seam ripper gets put to work.