Wednesday, February 9, 2011

strings and tumblers make a nice scrappy border

I did not get to sew as much as I had hoped to this evening.
We are getting another snow storm, which for me is an excuse to stay home from work (yeah) but I ended up doing computer stuff all day (darn reports) and missed out on getting to sew more strings together.

Maybe tomorrow night I can get back to this border-

I an sewing sets of strips and then sub-cutting them into the small tumbler die shape.

They take on a scrappy crumb block look.


This die works on my BABY GO. I have ordered the larger die and it should get here tomorrow!

I have a whole new found love of strips and strings knowing that I can now get more use out of them with the new cutting system I ordered.




These blocks take 5 strips each and I am cutting both horizontal and vertical tumblers.





I have one side done and a bunch ready to sew up for the border on the other side.
I finally figured out what saying I want to put on the last border.
I have been cutting out scrappy letter to raw edge applique.


Salmon pink is not my 'color' but I am learning to like it.

This top is growing on me and hopefully will be a bed size quilt sometime in my life time!
The outer border will be wonky letters and say:
Like the Butterfly, I too will awaken in my own time.
For some reason I love that saying. Kinda makes me sound profound and sarcastic both at the same time! Wont this be fun to sleep under.- cw