Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lg Tumbler Borders on a focus fabric- quick and easy future gift quilt

Years ago I made up kits of fabrics for future TO DOs. Tonight I had a little time to kill waiting for hubby to get home and opened a baggie to see what I could do in an hour.
I giggled when I read my - notes- on this one, quickly threw them away and cut large tumblers. The fabric I had purposed for the back is now the center.
I don't even know the size, I will figure it out when I go to quilt it.
Nice way to spend an hour and a half!

I know I am not the only one that pulls fabrics for a quick TO DO and then buries them under other higher priority projects. One summer I had a young girl visit me while her mom worked,  we sorted fabric and made kits. I remember joking that she would probably be married before I got around to some of our bundles.
I still have 4 drawers Full of misc cuts. We cut 6" WOF from favorites and bagged them up in sets of 24 (at the time I liked to make Dresden Plates) Now that I have a GO and misc dies I have been wishing I had time to cut more kits.
This week I pulled out two bags from that summer and die cut tops.
Tonight I threw together a quickie, large tumblers bordering a center focus fabric. It made me smile to think of Zoe and the summer she helped me "clean" my sewing room.
She has been married two years already, guess I can predict the future- lol 
My original notes suggested using the focus fabric for the back and doing Dresden Plates for the front.  Evidently back then I out grew my DP phase.  I don't remember how I acquired this matching collection.  I used it all.  Less then a handful of material left over for the scrap box.
I hope to gift this quilt soon- hold me to that-  cw