Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Blog HOP- Guest Post- Cheryl from MO- 4patch background for applique


This is the first time I have been a guest blogger on StashManicure.  Thank you Madame Samm for the invitation and special thanks for not having high expectations.  My theory is if we all have lower expectations we may end up pleasantly surprised!


I started a my personal blog a few years ago to have a spot to document bits of my creative side.  If you have been a visitor you can see that I don't post very often.  When I have started a post on a favorite project I like to edit updates to the same page.  I know this is not the normal way people read blogs but for me I like to have the whole process in one spot even if it take me awhile to finish.

Last year I started block testing for QuiltMakers 100 Block Issues.
I have started a couple of fun TO DO's from blocks I got to 'test'
Today I would like to show off one of my favorite blocks found in Vol. 4
Block #343 (on page 39) " Fresh Cut" by Sara Tuttle Khammash

Now it wouldn't be fair to just give you her pattern so I am going to share how my 'test block' grew into an 84 x84 (ish) keepsake.

The QuiltMaker blocks in this issue are all 12 1/2" blocks.  For my little Doll Quilt I have scaled it back to 6 1/2" blocks.  The post is to show the process not necessarily the step by step for making the same project. (It is not fun to do the same ole same old, so put your own spin on it)

 I used my GO and several dies along with Sara's applique patterns to make my RW and B quilt.  I used my GO and dies to make the Red and Black/White top.  My grand daughter will be a year and a half for Christmas so I decided to make her a little 'doll' quilt for one of her babies.  I can just picture Breely teaching her dolly how to say "Kitty Cat" and "Doggie"

If you don't have access to an Accucut GO cutter, feel free to use the method of your choice for cutting the squares needed for background blocks.  In my case I used 3 1/2" sqs to make 6 1/2" 4-Patch.  I then raw edge machine appliqued the cutouts to the squares.  I prefer not to use an Iron-On product when I applique.  I am a fan of glue sticks and will use them to tack (rain drops not puddles) my pieces together.  There are many stitches that work well for raw-edge, I prefer a chicken track stitch or an overcast stitch, you may like something else better.

My good friend Pam has a home business in Cassville MO, P Dubs Quilt Stuff. If you are ever in the area and want to see a demo of the GO or BABY GO check her place out. She hosts an amazing fabric sale on Saturdays.


My scrappy interpretation of Fresh Cut

Here we go:  Start with picking out the fabrics you want to work with.  In the case of my scrappy RWB, I grabbed light, med, and darks in Reds and Blues.  I also cut 6 1/2" sqs from my 'whites' and a few red and/or blues.  Sew your background squares into 4-patch blocks.  You can do these blocks in any size you like.  One of the fun things about piecing is you don't ever really have to follow the pattern exact if you chose not too.

Next cut out your applique shapes, if you have dies feel free to use them to embellish your blocks.  This pattern would look great with hearts, pumpkins, snowmen or anything else you can think of.

After you decide on the size and number of blocks think about the setting strips.
In my first quilt I set the blocks side by side. Then I added an narrow inner border and added 6 1/2" piano keys for the outer border.  For my Doll quilt I used a 1 1/2" strip and setting squares, I am pleased with the finished size.
Baby Doll Quilt top

You may be wondering WHY I added a photo of my foot pedal to the collage.  The answer is BECAUSE I wanted to show off my mini rug
(I am weaving from loops-potholder style!)

If you have any other questions feel free to ask in the comment section.

Hopefully I have met your expectations, thank you for the opportunity to show off a new favorite block.  4-Patch w/Applique.
be good  Cheryl

Thank you to everyone who commented over on Stash Manicure I have emailed Madame Samm to add the following to my post, I will honor the same for my Readers here:
I really don't mind sending a set of 6 or 12, cats ,birds or dogs, or mix per Self Addressed Stamped Envelope (that way I don't have to $$ postage) the appliques will be in Brights, and from scraps. IF a person were to send a fat quarter, I would be willing to die cut shapes from it and return, I get the scraps for my crumb pile. Readers will have to mark the front of the return envelope with a 6 or 12 and write dog, bird, cat, or MIX
It is up to you if you think you would like to take advantage of this offer (I seriously have so many scraps it is scary.  Let's limit it to post received by the end of next week.(Nov 18th)
cheryl willis
23598 lawrence 1100
monett mo 635708