Thursday, January 3, 2013

Easy Street has been reveled, I had to sew a few blocks!

Thanks Bonnie for another fun Mystery. Link to the Link up will be up on Monday.

I can't wait to see what the other hundreds of  participants have come up with for their future keepsake heirloom masterpieces!

The original was to be  apple green, turquoise, grey(accent/constant) and purples on a white w/black background.  I flipped a coin and decided on Red for my background.  Kept the Greens and Purples and sub-ed in Yellow for the blues.  I chose my 'accent' color by pulling a chunk of black w/pink roses off the shelf.  It was the first piece that had enough yardage.


The original is a scrappy quilter's dream, throw it all in there.  I however chose to be more controlled.  I used my GO and dies to cut everything.  I went for speed over variety.  I tend to cut in sets of 4 or 8.  This worked well for me.  The top will have a pieced block look with out the headache of  not having matching fabric 'touch'.

I wish I could say I put a lot of thought into this top but truth is, it is what it is.  If the instructions called for X amount of sqs and I could get it out of one fabric, I did.  All my center purple sqs are the same, for example.  I rather like that my outer green triangles are all the same.  I will pick my fabrics for the final outer border by what will work from the pieces I have left over.  Leaning towards 2 inches of red and 6 1/2 of a yellow print not in the top.

My regret is that I didn't stay caught up each week so I had a lot of sewing to do.  I did however have everything cut out and dealt into sets to work on if/when I get a good snow day.


I think I am figuring out what I want to do for my back.  This long pieced houses is an E-Bay purchase.  It is pretty close to the length of my Red Hot Easy Street top.  The dark green yardage has been in my stash for way to long. (I am sure if I use it on a back I will have a dozen other projects it would have been perfect for!!)  The Yellow on the right is also used in my top. 
My 'back' is finished, the link to that post is HERE
Do you think this would be a good applique?  I am leaning towards 2013 Easy Street (like it is an address)
The dark green side will say:  "Where we sleep till Noon"
now don't hold your breath while I get that part done- lol

check out Easy Street on Bonnie Hunter's website www.Quiltville.com