Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My quilt is on page 88, QuiltMaker's 100 Blocks vol 5

My quilt will be on display at the Golden, Colorado office gallery from June 1st, 2012 though August 21st, 2012.



QuiltMaker invited some of the block testers to design a quilt using any combination of blocks we tested.

I chose block #436  My Summer Sandal (page 41), designed by Barbara Jones.  I enjoyed this block when I tested it and found it worked perfect in a reduced version for corner embellishments to my quilt.  One of the great things about applique is that one can reduce or enlarge as necessary to meet a projects needs.



The other block I chose to work with is block #401 Abloom (page 24), designed by Barbara Cherniwchan.  I love raw edge applique and this block worked up perfect in a layer and cut style layout.  I like how the fabrics repeat around the Bloom.



I was sent fabric from the Lark Collection by Amy Butler for Westminster Fibers.  I was surprised to get yardage of the green floral that I used for the backgrounds.  I didn't want to just default and use it on the back.  Other pieces from the collection were sent in fat quarter size or 1/2 yds.  I am proud to say that I used up pretty much everything that was received.



Amy is known for her large prints and repeats.  I wanted to enjoy two small pieces with different backgrounds.  To make them play together, I fussy cut the large flowers and made the center frame for my 'girl'.



The outer border is raw edge applique, the letters are cut from my handwriting.  When I do this style no two projects turn out the same.  I cut all of each letter at the same time.  So all the "O" will look similar.  "M & W" are the same just flipped as is "n & U" , "P & d".  It gives a familiarity to the text almost like a personal font.

For me, design is like choosing what I'm going to wear for the day only much more complicated and not really the same at all



The quote is from Robynne Raye.  I did a Google search of 'design' quotes and like this one b/c I thought it fit what I was trying to create.  (and it sounds like me too- lol)

Issues of QuiltMaker 100 blocks vol 5 should be out soon.  I don't know that I will make all 100 blocks BUT there are many that are getting added to my TO DO list. (I still have two projects  from the last issue that are in the kit stage.)


I don't have any pictures of this piece after I quilted it.  It is a real thrill to see it in print in this issue.

I think I am going to take a break from testing for awhile and get caught up on personal projects.  Many thanks to the staff at QuiltMaker for picking me to participate on this issue.  Get your copy soon I am keeping mine this time!