Thursday, June 23, 2016

flowers, and scraps of solids

Connie came to visit and shared her version of the flower blocks (so far)  I love the green backgrounds.  I am getting excited to see what the other library class gals are doing with their flower patterns.  I always find it so interesting to see the different interpretations.  When the newspapers printed a quilt block pattern, many readers would make similar blocks b/c they had access to similar fabrics.  Today anything goes.  We have confidence in so many different techniques, styles, fabric choices, the possibilities are endless.


Connie has more blocks sewn down then I do.  I am impressed with her colors and I love the straight raw-edge sewing.

While we were visiting and working along with Monett library quilter, Francis, we also sorted through 7 totes of solids.  I want to make 100 baby blankets for a Missions project.  We are going to sew a (print) top and (solid)back fabric together and add applique (or not).  These will be various sizes depending on the original fabric.  They will be going to El Salvador so we won't be adding batting.

After pulling larger solid pieces from the totes to use as backs, we then sorted fabric into smaller piles.  I keep two loose filled totes of colors and one of whites/cream/tans.  So happy the other ladies took home what they wanted and we still had three totes to give away.  I have been calling new quilters and offering them a chance to add to their stash.  We should be totes empty by the end of the week.

Next play-date will be to tackle the prints.  We may need to call extra helpers for this quest.

almost empty!

lots left here

Not a real tote but a lot of good fabric!