Friday, March 8, 2013

Craigs List Buy- Thanks OKC!

A couple of weeks ago when I was headed to OKC to visit the folks, I placed an add requesting Stained Glass Misc. for a newbie.  (I am the newbie- just started this past fall 2011)

I got the nicest call a couple of weeks later from a couple who were wanting to clean out their garage.

I cleared my schedule on a day that the grandkids were out of school and took Tyler with me to load the trunk.  I think he also rode along to make sure we stopped at every McDonald's on the way.

 I have to brag that this was well worth the trip.  I will be working stained glass with the grandkids for many years to come.  I am now all set with good tools and a few extras!  There were several patterns that came home with me.  One is on track for being my TO DO this month!  More on that later.......

Springfiled, MO has a stained glass shop that sells scrap glass by the pound.  Whenever I am close I stop by and pick through the bin.  These curvy pieces came home with me.  I used an 18 inch glass tile to make a mosaic.  Not quite a 'flip a coin' but I did make sure if I picked up a piece I had to lay it on the tile.  Nothing was cut, even the smaller filler pieces came from the scrap pile from projects in progress.

 My glass scraps are starting to compete with my fabric scraps, it may to time to take over another room in the basement for my new hobby!!

This is the first of two lamps I hope to restore and use either in my home office or in my sewing room.  We will not hold our breath.  Both look doable but I do have a bad habit of thinking and not doing.

 and..... on the Quilty side.....  This is a resuce quilt and needed to be a cutter quilt!!  I decided to try and patch it instead of cut it up.  I used my GO chicken die and appliqued the birds to plate size circle of fabric.  i figured it would be easier to sew circles then chickens to the quilt top.
 I tried to use material that would look like it belonged.  I will add a new back and use an old blanket as the batt.  I hope to keep the older look and feel but end up with a useable utility piece.  I also tried to deal out the rooster/hens and plates in a way that it isn't real obvious that this is a 'fixer upper'. 
Not much contrast but it looks good from the road- lol