Thursday, November 26, 2009

Blessings of 2009 and hopes for 2010

Last night our church got together for a mid-week service and started with a traditional dinner and time of fellowship. As a group of believers we have gone through all the normal ups and downs that time and community bring.

The devo was a reminder to 'remember' where we have been and where we purpose to go. I am sure that the speaker had a different title but that is what I got out of the lesson.

Hubby's mom passed away earlier this month and one of the songs that she requested be played is "Remind Me Dear Lord". I haven't been able to write about her passing mostly b/c I get to choked up when I try.
We have a lot of good memories of mom and a lot of fun stories to share with family and friends. Mom had been dealing with liver cancer for over four years and was determined to finish out her life at home with those that loved her around. The last week the whole family was in and out of the house. We got to spend the last night with her and reflected on events and memories of the blessings we have enjoyed by having her as our mom. Our grand kids call her by the same name our children did-- AMMA, an eastern Indian word for grandmother.
The Sunday before she left us, over 50 friends of the family joined us in a house service so mom could hear live singing and participate in taking communion. It was a day I am very Thankful for b/c it gave my children and grandchildren a chance to worship one last time with their grandmother.

Today is also a day of THANKSGIVING, the official day so to speak. We will spend it with family and friends. Noon meal is to be with our oldest son's family. Evening meal at Hubby's mom's house with his siblings and tag alongs. With all that is going on with life it is nice to have these times to remember.

Highlights for 2009

February, I survived meningitis- very thankful for the prayers and attention from everyone while I recovered. The emergency responders and the hospital personnel were all wonderful, I wouldn't want to do it again but am glad I had such wonderful caregivers.

Youngest daughter and her two boys moved out. Doesn't seem like a great high light but they are in the area and we continue to see them almost everyday.

Oldest son is expecting their third child, I can not even put into words how much I love him and his family. Our daughter-in-law is the answer to prayers, I tell her I have loved her before she was even born.

Oldest daughter got married yesterday at the courthouse. (no shot gun wedding) Her and the new hubby are joining us today. They had been planning on a spring ceremony but decided to skip the drama and do the short and sweet version. Dustin's sister and a cousin stood in as witnesses and I got to go as the photographer. I don't think it is really eloping if the mom tags along. I did think it was nice that the kids included me. I was disappointed that the judge didn't offer to let them stay in one of the cells for the honeymoon. I guess she was using me as an example, her father and I decided on a Wednesday to get our license and were married the following Saturday in a home ceremony. My friends dad was a minister and she and her future husband were our witnesses. The difference is that my mom got excited and planned the event in three days. Had the 'dress', rings, flowers, etc... all we had to do was show up. I was honored to get to pass my rings down to our daughter. My hubby got me an upgrade for our 25th a few years ago and our original rings were just waiting for the right couple to bless.

Youngest son was able to fly back to be with us. I am so thrilled every time that he is able to come home even when the reason for the visit is not totally joyful. Every Thanksgiving I am reminded of the year that he surprised us with an unexpected visit for the Holidays. It was like a scene out of the movies.

2009 has had it all, a near death experience, loss of loved ones, celebrations of new life and loves. Today we celebrate and remember, the good and the bad and we agree to count our blessings. A God that loves us, Family to love, and all my Favorites: Friends, Fun, Food, and Fabric!

My prayer is that all that love the Lord can find time to reflect and count their blessings. May 2010 bring the experiences you desire. love cheryl