Trinity Celtic Knot-A-Long

Search for Past Posts Here

Loading...

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

It is always a good time to show off a Christmas quilt!

   Special Thanks to  Mdm Samm and Carol for organizing this blog hop.  I hope you are having fun visiting all the creative talent we have had step up to share this week.

August 7
  
Since we are all 'friends' here I will admit that I did not do the project I purposed TO DO.   I am sure that no one else has ever had a near miss on a dead-line.  
I started out really excited and just "Knew" exactly what I wanted to -show off.
The Blog Hop was a perfect opportunity for me to  get out an old UFO and finish it in time to share (and to be one quilt ahead for Christmas)
Well you know how it goes.......(fill in your own excuses here- I may need to borrow one sometime).....I actually got the top back from my friend Pam. (She had it at her shop to show off how easy the small tumbler die from Accuquilt is to use with scraps)
This is one of the first projects I cut tumblers for.  I have always wanted to add borders and was holding out to find the 'perfect' fabric or idea to finish this future keepsake.  It will have to wait a bit longer--my bad.
I did pull additional fabrics to design and work on my border...and the rest is how it sometimes goes....nothing got done.  
I want(ed) to make a 6 in black border with 2 1/2" letters.  In the spirit of Christmas and as a salute to Cake Wrecks I came up with the perfect saying to tie this piece in with our Blog Hop.
 Don't laugh but I still plan to add:   
           M E R R Y (across the top)
HO                                                         Down
HO                                                          the
HO                                                         Side
              C H R I S T M A S 
             (on the bottom)     
I will do some holiday applique in the corners etc....
You know this was a lot cuter in my head--lol


Don't be too sad that I missed this dead-line, I look at it that I am ahead of  the game for next year.  
Because you have been so forgiving, I decided to throw  in a little more eye candy to make your stop worthwhile. 
You can do this setting in any size you like.  Make flying geese by the method of your choice.  Sew  geese together in sets of 3.  Measure two geese and use that measurement to make hour block and sq in a sq blocks.  Sew strip sets of 3 geese pointing towards an hour glass block followed by 3 geese pointing in from the other side.  Measure this new strip unit.  Take that measurement and cut background blocks to embellish as you chose.  I like to raw-edge applique. For this quilt I made scrappy Sue girls.    Set the top in a focus block and sashing w/corner sqs set.

I think I would like to try this sometime set on point, maybe with flowers?  What would you do?

Here is the finished quilt thrown laid out on the floor to get it's photo taken.
The grand kids always love a favorite quilt to pull out around the holidays.  I like that they enjoy a good snuggle under at grandma's house.  Some day I can gift this then well worn keepsake to one of my future heirs to share with their loved ones.
Several of the girls have already called Dibs....wonder who will add it to their collection?  Maybe I should just make a couple of more just in case...... the way I am going, maybe I should just gift the UFO's and call it good!

Thanks for stopping by
be good-  Cheryl



 

56 comments:

Judy B said...

Your tumbler quilt is very pretty even without the borders! Love your Sue quilt. Thank you for sharing.

Vickie said...

Piecing tumblers is fun sewing ! I love yours Cheryl !

jan said...

OMGoodness! Ok so the tumbler quilt is cute! But I love the Sunbonnet Sue Quilt! That is adorable! Iam so glad you shared it with us.
I signed up to follow on GFC because I didnt see a bloglovin or email button.
xo jan@sewandsowfarm

Leah said...

Your quilts are beautiful... even if the tumbling block isn't finished.

Sharon said...

Well your tumbler will look awesome when it is finished but you SBS is just lovely.

Marianne said...

I have a list of excuses you can borrow. My husband laughs at me when I tell him I have a deadline. He said hobbies should not have deadlines....if there is a deadline it becomes a job.
Love your quilt top and I can "see" it finished in my mind.

Baa. xxx said...

We think the tumblers look lovely - and we love sue!

Britt-Inger said...

Your tumbler quilt is so beautiful ,even without borders. And we all love Sue.
Thanks for sharing

feltfree på Åsly said...

What a lovely project. Thanks for sharing

Darlington Gal said...

Lovely. Thanks for sharing!

Heleen Groot said...

Yes, excuses.....I know that path well! Usually only with things like cleaning (after a project), but still. Very familiar. In your case, holding out for the perfect fabric is not an excuse. That is simply a fact! You NEED the perfect fabric, otherwise the whole (extremely pretty) quilt could be ruined! You were just being wise and planning ahead with the lettering. I salute you! I love the Sun Bonnet Sue quilt.

Rhonda said...

Your tumbler is a great way to show off all those fantastic fabrics!! Great job. As for excuses...we all have plans that sometimes just don't get done because life steps in....sigh!!
Take care.

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

your tumbler quilt will turn out perfect, looks great already.
Thanks for sharing the beautiful Sun bonnet Sue Quilt, gorgeous!

JoyceLM said...

Love your Christmas Sunbonnet Sue quilt - thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Your Sunbonnet Sue quilt is wonderful; what a great idea!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Oh your Sunbonnet Sue is adorable!!!

Madame Samm said...

as tumblers go ...you did good....sue looks like she found a home too in many hearts

desertskyquilts said...

Yah, gift the UFOs! LOL. They will probably be thrilled, actually. I have one top from a great grandmother that needed quilting and it was so special to quilt on it. Love the SBS. The tumbler quilt will be great, and it really isn't too late to finish it for THIS year!

Carol said...

The tumbler top looks pretty and will be wonderful when it's finished. I love the Sunbonnet Sue Christmas quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Gill said...

I love the Sunbonnet Sue quilt!
Thanks for sharing!

Thearica said...

Fantastic shares for the hop!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Love those Sunbonnet Sues! blessings, marlene

Sherry said...

Love your tumbler and Sue is so cute.

Mimi said...

Love your humour!! Great projects too! Thanks for sharing in the hop!!

Leah said...

Your tumbler looks great, and that Sunbonnet sue is spectacular! Thanks for sharing.

Just Quilt It said...

My granddaughters would love this Sunbonnet Sue quilt to--it is adorable. Yes, you should make one for each of them. I'd love to see the tumbler one when finished. I've never made this pattern, and I love the way it is turning out. Thanks for sharing your projects!

Heidi [Grizz-n-Dove] said...

Both are fun! Thanks for sharing :)

Linda said...

Thanks for showing us your two projects! They're beautiful!

ABreading4fun@gmail.com said...

love sunbonnet sue quilt thanks for sharing with us

Margaret said...

I am in love with your sunbonnet sue quilt. I think those flying geese really add to it. Thanks for sharing

charlotte said...

We all have that happen. You have a great start and your Sue quilt is very cute!

Lou said...

Cute tumbler quilt!
There are many WIP's (works in progress) at my house too:)

Carol said...

I love my tumbler die and will have to drag it out to make something like this. It looks great and will be so cute with those binding fabrics. Sunbonnet Sue is very lovely!

JanesQuilting said...

I just LOVE your Sew Bonnet Christmas quilt. That is just plain gorgeous. I love the way you added the flying geese sashing.

patchouli moon studio said...

Sweet quilt. I haven't seen Sunbonnet Sue done in Christmas before.

Denise Russell said...

How awesome! Thanks for joining the blog hop!

Rosa said...

Your sunbonnet quilt is spectacular.Thanks for sharing.Happy sewing!!

MooseStash Quilting said...

What a fun tumabler quilt. I wish I could say I never missed a dead line, but someone would strike me down for that lie!!! LOL!
Your sunbonnet quilt is just too cute.

Joanna said...

Sunbonnet Sue and Flying Geese look wonderful together. Love that quilt.

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Wonderful quilts! I'd love to see the Sun bonnet sue/flying geese quilt on point.
Thanks for sharing.

Suze said...

What beautiful quilts! You'll get the tumbler quilt finished as you desire. I love Sunbonnet Sue. I have one started but I'm not thrilled with the pattern. My mother and her grandmother had made some blocks and she made a spread out of them for my roll away cot that I slept in all my life. Of course, I had no idea what an heirloom I had. I have no idea what happened to them. They looked very, very much like your SBS. I cannot find that pattern. I have been frustrated trying to find a pattern that I want. I want the boy pattern, too. I have already purchased fabrics and want one of the fabrics to be a small polka dot. I love how the hop brings new ideas. I love the flying geese surrounding the blocks and form a square in a square. I think it's a hit! Thanks for participating and inspiring us. Even though it's very, very warm (our Pepsi thermometer showed 155 - lol yesterday), everyone is thinking Christmas more and more.

Emily C said...

So cute! I love sunbonnet sue.

Joyce Carter said...

WOW! I just love the Sunbonnet Sue Quilt! Ok, ok so she just happens to be my all time favorite. Although I have made tons of quilts with her on them, I have never made her in Christmas colors. She is soooo beautiful. I am definitely going to do this one. I love the tumbler one also. Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing.

maggie said...

I love the tumbler quilt . It is so cheery. And Sunbonnet Sue is beautiful.
Well done, thanks for sharing.
cheers
maggie

maggiemine42@gmail.com

Robin said...

Oooo, I love the little Christmas Sue!

gpc said...

Lovely projects, especially love the Sue! :)

VickiT said...

You may not have totally finished your project, but at least you were working on it and didn't run and hide, right? I love tumbler quilts myself and the colors in yours is very Christmassy. Your Scrappy Sue quilt is wonderful. Very pretty.

evelyn said...

Hey, from a UFO to a WIP-that is progress! Your tumbler flimsie looks great as is.

LJ said...

Close to finish and that's good enough. I like the idea of the words in the border. Holly Hobbie is a quilt I'd love to make.

pamspretties57 said...

Hiya Cheryl!!! Can I become an adopted granddaughter??? I love the Sunbonnet Sue quilt. The mini tumbler would look great with any border, since it's so scrappy. Maybe something plain to set it off. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas, blessed be, hugs!!! Pam

pamspretties57 at gmail dot com

Sallie said...

I finished a Christmas quilt "late" for last year, but it's just early for this year. Thanks for sharing!

Sandy said...

I think your borders sound cute. Hope you get it finished by Christmas. Thanks for sharing with us.

Linda J said...

Your project is wonderful but I am most impressed by the flying geese sashing on the holiday SBS. No wonder they are calling dibs on it.

Victorine Bland said...

I enjoyed all your projects but something about a tumbler block...it is almost like comfort food.
Hugs

Sharon Dawn said...

I love your SS Christmas quilt!! The pretty scrappy tumbler will be fun to use when you are done. Thanks for sharing!

BizyStitches said...

Thanks for being part of the fun blog hop. I enjoyed your blog.