Saturday, December 18, 2010

600 tri/sqs finish at 1.5 inches- merry christmas to me!

I haven't been posting my progress on the latest mystery by Bonnie Hunter. The Roll Roll Cotton Boll has been a very active project with my cyber friends.

Bonnie is known for scrappy Mystery's that pull from stash and I am all about loving both.

I wanted to use my new BABY GO to assist in the cutting. Last night I actually cut out kits for steps 1, 2, 4 & 5. (I have been working on the 60 string blocks for step 3- also pulled from stash and cut on the BABY)

The 600 triangle/squares that finish at 1 1/2" are going to be a take along project to do over Christmas. I will get them sewn before we leave and trim/resize during quiet time.
I did that step last night with the die I have. I used the 2 1/2" strip and cut cut 20 width of fabric strips of my RED and then used 4 neutrals I liked and cut 20 WOF of them too.

I scissor cut those strips in half (just preference not necessary) match sets right sides together and sew 1/4" down both long sides.
I then press (I know I never iron but trust me it is ok every now and then)

I then layer 4 sets on top of each other and rotary cut my triangles lining up on the sewn line. Alternate from each direction and it yields a lot of tri/sqs. For this step I will iron/press again and re-size. Yes I know that leaves a bias edge on the outside BUT these are small units and it shouldn't be an issue.

I have the BABY GO and purchased the 3" finished triangles and the 2" sq dies specifically for this mystery. I cut out parts 1,2, 4, 5 last night (almost finished with sewing part 3 which I also cut on my strip die)

Now I have a new pile of strings for the next project! Merry Christmas- cheryl

I will edit in photos later- cw