Saturday, December 5, 2015

Working on a wonky die cut star


Deb H. wants to do a quilt for her grandson.  I was sure I had dies that would cut out an easy wonky star.   Made myself a few test blocks to make sure I had interlocking pattern understood.  Cut out 6 sets of stars before I realized I wasn't laying the print good side down.   SEW, so I set 5 stars together rotating the wrong way.  I had to keep looking at my pattern from the back side to figure out how to piece the block--lol  
Now that I have the center completed, it is growing on me.  I have cut out enough stars correctly to make another full size quilt in the future.
Kinda a strange way to set the stars but once you figure it out, very easy.

Corner pieces, easy to do


Center 5 stars-  starting to like it, now to make it larger.

I had just enough of the brown w/circles to do a border around the center.

Triangles on the chisel die for the next border will bring this close to 60 x 60".  I like sq. quilts for maybe a couple of more borders and this will be ready for a bed!